COVID-19 Testing in Carrollton, TX
We Perform COVID-19 Testing at Our Emergency Clinic
If you experience COVID-19 symptoms or have been exposed to an individual who later tested positive, you should immediately get tested for the virus. Castle Hills Emergency Room offers rapid COVID-19 testing at our 24-hour emergency medical services facility in Carrollton, TX. We all must do our part to help control the spread of this deadly disease, and that starts with testing. Our board-certified physicians and licensed nurses are available to perform COVID-19 tests at all hours of the day or night. We administer tests to children and adults, so visit us right away if you have any concerns. We have provided answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about COVID-19 testing below, but please call us with any others.
What Advice Does the CDC Offer Regarding Testing?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends calling your healthcare provider immediately if you develop symptoms of COVID-19 or are in a living situation where exposure is likely. Your physician will help you decide whether you should be tested for the disease. If your concerns arise outside of normal business hours, you may call Castle Hills Emergency Room. We will likely recommend taking a test for safety’s sake. Please be sure to wear a mask and frequently wash your hands in the meantime.
What Are the Different Types of COVID-19 Tests?
We offer three different types of COVID-19 tests at our free-standing emergency care clinic. Depending on your circumstances, we may recommend one or more of the following:
- Antigen Test – We will swab your nose to detect the presence of a viral protein consistent with an active infection. If it is present, you have the virus. However, this test is only 93.8% sensitive, meaning it could return a false negative. If you have a negative test but are exhibiting typical COVID-19 symptoms, we may order another style of test. Results are typically available within 15 minutes.
- Molecular (PCR) Test – Our staff will also administer this test using a nasal swab. We will then send the swab to an off-site diagnostic lab for more accurate results. Turnaround time is usually about 48 hours.
- Antibody Test – This test requires us to draw your blood. We will then analyze it in search of disease-specific proteins that your body creates to fight infection and prevent a recurrence. This will not detect an active infection, but it can confirm you previously had the disease. Results are ready in 20 minutes.
How Much Does A COVID-19 Test Cost?
The CARES Act stipulates that health insurance must cover 100% of the cost of COVID-19 testing for individuals who exhibit symptoms of the illness or have been exposed to it. There will be no out-of-pocket expense to you.
Who Should Have A Rapid Antigen Test?
We recommend rapid COVID-19 tests for anyone who is concerned they may have contracted the virus. Visit Castle Hills Emergency Room today if you meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Signs or symptoms of COVID-19
- Suspected exposure to someone with COVID-19
- Regular interaction with individuals in a public health setting
What Should I Do After A Positive Test?
If your COVID-19 test results are positive, you should immediately take measures to avoid spreading the virus to others. There is no cure for the disease, so you will need to rest and drink plenty of fluid to expedite the recovery process. If your symptoms worsen, alert your primary care physician or the team at Castle Hills Emergency Room for guidance regarding treatment. In the meantime, you must isolate until:
- At least 10 days have passed since your symptoms first appeared
- At least 24 hours have passed since your last fever
- Symptoms have improved
We also suggest getting a follow-up rapid antigen or molecular (PCR) test to confirm you no longer have an active infection.
Contact Castle Hills Emergency Room Today
You do not need an appointment for a COVID-19 test at Castle Hills Emergency Room, but we would appreciate a notice before visiting our office if you are experiencing symptoms. A medical professional can meet you at your car with proper PPE to prevent exposure to our office staff and other patients. We perform COVID-19 tests in Carrollton, TX at all hours, so contact us today.